Cliff Lee's wife harassed in New York

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From espn.com
Fans' treatment of Cliff Lee's wife at Yankee Stadium was ugly, but it might not have hurt the Yankees' recruitment of one of the game's top left-handed pitchers.

During the American League Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities.

But the treatment apparently did not change how the Lees feel about New York.

"I brush that off as fans being fans. You can't control 50,000 people and what they're going to do," Lee said Tuesday, the day before pitching Game 1 of the World Series for Texas. "There were some people that were spitting off the balcony on the family section and things like that, and that's kind of weak, but what can you do?"

Lee said what happened last week wouldn't have any impact on his offseason decision.

"No, I don't know the guy that did it. It could be anyone. Who knows? Who cares?," Lee said. "They're at home right now."

Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, told ESPNNewYork.com that Lee's wife still likes New York.

"The story is not an issue to us," he said. "Her experience in New York is certainly a non-issue. She enjoys New York as much as anyone enjoys New York."

Lee helped Texas beat New York in the ALCS in six games. But there has been widespread speculation that the Yankees will make a serious run at signing Lee when he becomes a free agent after the season.

That didn't stop Yankees fans from harassing Lee's wife.

"The fans did not do good things in my heart," Lee's wife, Kristin, told USA Today. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."

he was sitting with other Rangers family and friends in the visiting family section at Yankee Stadium during the playoffs.

"Some people get a little alcohol in them and act inappropriate," Cliff Lee said. "There's so many people there you can't control them all. I know it's been made into a big deal, but that's really all it is, just two or three or four people just acting like fools, and 50,000, you can't group them all together. But there's always going to be a couple goofballs in the crowd that think they have a right to do that stuff."

In a text to ESPNNewYork.com, Yankees spokesperson Jason Zillo said that the Yankees are "not commenting."

On the flip side of Kristen Lee's bad experience in New York is her close relationship with CC Sabathia's wife, Amber. They have been close since Sabathia and Cliff Lee played together in Cleveland.

Cliff Lee and Sabathia are friends as well. The Sabathias and Lees already were discussing where the Lees should live when it appeared as if the Yankees were going to make a trade for Lee in July.

The Yankees are expected to make Lee their No. 1 free-agent target. He will likely receive a deal in the five-to-seven year range at $100 million to $150 million. It also could be Lee's final major contract; he turns 33 during next season.

Lee, acquired by Texas from Seattle on July 9, is getting ready to start Game 1 of the World Series for the second year in a row. Last year it was for Philadelphia, which traded him to the Mariners the same day the Phillies acquired Roy Halladay.

This time, Lee will get to pick where he plays.

"He has a chance to win here for a long time," Rangers teammate Jeff Francoeur said Tuesday. "At the end of the day, I think he's going to be between Texas and the Yankees. He'll wind up in one of those places."

The fans' treatment of Lee's wife was first reported by USA Today.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
what a sap.

how does that not affect your decision. ill be very disappointed if he goes to NY.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well you're going to be disappointed.. It's just how the MLB is set up.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
meh hes a punk if he does.

it also shows you how douchy most yankees fans really are

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Even though Lee is saying it is not affecting his decision, he probably does not want to come out and say that.

Also Yankee fans are only hurting their own hopes of signing him.

VC15

Reaction score
He's coming here. We will give him an offer that he can't refuse. Everyone thought C.C. wouldn't come here and look at what happened.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
He's coming here. We will give him an offer that he can't refuse. Everyone thought C.C. wouldn't come here and look at what happened.
congrats you guys have tons of money.

buying every big name free agent. cool story.

where are you guys this year? not in the WS thats for sure

VC15

Reaction score
congrats you guys have tons of money.

buying every big name free agent. cool story.

where are you guys this year? not in the WS thats for sure
Winning over 20% of the WS played so far is more than enough.

27 rings?

The most recent WS Champs?

The Kleenex is in aisle 4 for you

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
seriously. are your legitimately retarded? give it up with the kleenex line.

<Censored> yous are in aisle 3.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
i can insult the message

the yankees and there money and WS titles can lick my sack

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Of course he wont say it effects his decision. Can't say stuff like that in public. Seems to be the only way he would stay in Texas, is if the Rangers win the WS. Otherwise, I see him going to the Yankees. Sadly. Just how things work.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I can't wait until Yankees fans wake up one morning, and see that Cliff Lee has signed with any team other then them. And honestly I don't see how Lee is worth the money TBH.

His stats this year:

ERA 3.18
Record: 12-9
Strikeouts: 185

Not that great of stats IMO, and definitely not worth the money Yankees fans will offer.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
sure disrespect his family then expect him to sign with you because you dangle money in his face so you can cheer him on the following year.

<Censored>ing douchbag yankees organization and fanbase.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I can't wait until Yankees fans wake up one morning, and see that Cliff Lee has signed with any team other then them. And honestly I don't see how Lee is worth the money TBH.

His stats this year:

ERA 3.18
Record: 12-9
Strikeouts: 185

Not that great of stats IMO, and definitely not worth the money Yankees fans will offer.
Cliff Lee's career post-season stats

7-0 (3 of those wins vs NY)
1.27 ERA

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And his stats took a big drop this year when he was pitching through and injury. He's an elite pitcher, and the best lefty in baseball, he's worth 20 million per year in Baseball standards.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
2009 he 14-13. He has only had to good years. 2008 (went 22-3) and 2005 (went 18-5).

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He had a better era in 2009 then he did in 2005 :headsmack:

And in 2009 he went 4-0 with a 1.56 ERA in the post-season with the Phillies only 2 World Series wins :headsmack:

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Still I don't think he is worth the 20 Million if he can only pitch his best in the post season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%