Yanks & Man City to Co-Own MLS' 20th Franchise

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The New York Yankees are going into the soccer business.

The Yankees are partnering with Manchester City to own Major League Soccer’s 20th team, which will be called New York City Football Club and plans to start play in the 2015 season.
Manchester City, owned by Sheik Mansour bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, will be the majority owner of the team.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51951704/

Any bets on who will have the biggest MLS payroll by 2016?  I'll put money on it right now, Cristiano Ronaldo is playing for this club before his career is over.  

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
City owning a team in the MLS? Might have to start paying attention lol

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was really hoping MLS would give Orlando the expansion and try to recapture the Southeast market.  I'm sure this New York FC will become star-studded but what does this mean for the other team already in the New York area?  Red Bulls' attendance figures are already mediocre and you watch them drop to below 9,000 once all the soccer fans in the actual city stop giving a shit about the MLS team technically located in New Jersey.  

Intriguing move but not one I'm thrilled with.  I personally think MLS choose another NY team because it means the Yankees and Man City are now "in".  

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%